The highest compliments one can get are those from the people who do the same type of work as you. It is special because they understand the commitment, hard work, and dedication it takes to produce something worthwhile. That they take the time to give recognition is extremely flattering. That’s why I was honored to find out my site was nominated for a 2018 Liebster Award by The Pensieve.
If you haven’t heard of it, the Liebster Award is an “award” given to bloggers by other bloggers for fun and in recognition of a post or overall blog that they enjoyed. (Ties into that whole “highest compliments” bit rather nicely, doesn’t it?) It’s also a great way to find new blogs to add to your reader. I was both surprised and honored to learn of my nomination and cannot express my gratitude enough. I highly recommend checking out The Pensieve as there are some great posts to be read there.
Rules are Rules
As per the official rules of the award, here I am to post what makes me passionate about blogging. It’s quite a simple answer, one that many of my fellow bloggers will no doubt relate to: I love writing. It’s what motivates me to wake up in the morning. It’s also what gives me a fair number of sleepless nights.
One of the better writing habits I’ve picked up over the years is to write little pieces that have absolutely nothing to do with the project I’m currently working on. They exist with the sole purpose of keeping my fingers moving. Sometimes I just need a little time to let an idea or plot point simmer a while longer. Or perhaps I need some distance from a draft that is mired in the editing phase. (Okay, I’ll admit it – sometimes I’m just procrastinating and need a break. There, I said it.) So I write short, mostly nonsensical pieces for fun. They give me a nice, low pressure distraction and help keep my work fresh.
I decided to create a website to give these little stories a place to live other than the “Misc” folder on my hard drive. (And it’s nice to have a web address to list on mini-bio’s.) And so while they were never written with the intent to publish anywhere (which ought to be evident by the general content and complete lack of editing), they are just as important to me as anything else I write. I couldn’t create the stories I write without them.
My Liebster Award Nominees!
Anyway, I write fiction because I like talking about others and not myself. So here is where this gets fun for me.
Something I hadn’t expected while building my site was the discovery of the amazing content that’s out there in the blogging community. There are many very talented writers and artists who put themselves and their work out there every day. I very much admire the creativity and enjoy reading the thoughts and ideas of others.
Although I know sometimes a blog starts with fire and determination only to quickly burn out and fade away, my Liebster Award nominees are a few that I hope stick around for a good long while:
- Love thyself? Then you’ll love what you read over at Aieshi’s website. Probably the nicest layout I’ve seen in a while. I should steal it.
- A blog created by a very talented writer who has written some excellent stories. It’s not easy painting a vivid picture with so few words, but he pulls it off. Furthermore, anyone whose blog header reads “My pen loves gossiping to paper about my imagination’s secrets.” deserves an award.
- What do I know about poetry? Well, I know what I like. And there’s plenty to like here. Go read some.
- Andi is writing to write because that’s what Andi loves to do. Doesn’t get much better than that. Go have a look at what Andi’s up to and give her a follow so she keeps at it.
- This is a great science-themed website. I love reading thought-provoking posts about the universe we live in. If you do as well, this is a great blog to follow.
Ten Random and Completely Useless Facts About Me:
As I mentioned, rules are rules. This is part of them so here we go. Don’t say I’m not a sport…
- I have lived in Florida for years. Yes it is hot. Yes there are crazy people everywhere. Please don’t move here.
- I play the bass guitar poorly, but what I lack in talent I make up for with volume. I have mastered a few songs that the local stray cats really seem to relate to.
- I do not own any pets, but I do own two children who sometimes act like pets.
- I am ambidextrous and believe it’s a learned talent. Anything can be mastered with practice. Except, apparently, playing the bass guitar.
- I am a pilot. It’s safer up there then on the roads with all the nuts down here.
- I have literally just discovered The Game of Thrones and am binge-watching it like hell. It took me six years to discover Lost and The Sopranos, so this should come as no surprise to anyone.
- I’ll take a good book over a great movie anytime.
- I am what most would consider tall but cannot shoot a basketball for the life of me.
- I am the type that finds it very difficult to list ten random facts about myself.
- Did I mention that I live in Florida?
The Liebster Award Rules:
(These are direct from the official website so you can cut and paste as I have.)
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, or you chose to start a blog post about the Liebster award; you should do the following:
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
2. Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. For the 2018 Liebster Award, I will be shaking things up! Write a small post about what makes you passionate about blog posting.
4. Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (Again this year I’m making this optional. If you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about you.)
5. Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel would enjoy blogging about this award the award.
6. List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here or simply link to this post.)
7. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
via The Daily Prompt